Tuesday, April 17, 2012

DIY: Metallic Ottomans

I really hope that you had as good as day as I have had today. It just felt like one of those days where things were falling into place.

I went a little spray paint crazy today, its true, but I really like the improvements it made to some of my pieces. I am most excited about these Metallic Ottomans that used to be red. They were a red faux leather that I picked up from TJ Maxx for $20 a piece. I got them a few years ago and back then the red correlated with my design scheme but not so much anymore. I've seen metallic ottomans all over lately and decided I needed to have a pair of my own.




I don't know about you but I don't have a budget that allows me to always buy new, so repurposing is my best friend. Not to mention it is entirely better for the environment - which is key these days.

West Elm's Metallic Ottoman


For this project I used:
Krylon Primer & Krylon Metallic Spray Paint.
These two ottomans only took one can of primer and maybe 3/4 of the Metallic Silver. 
I bought three cans of the silver anticipating that I would need a lot. To my surprise and excitement it only took one so I happily returned the other two cans. :)


BEFORE




With 1 Coat of Primer - which dried quite fast.

Another shot




AFTER

They took only one coat of spray paint.

AFTER: Currently residing in the bedroom.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/17/2012

    Great improvement - I love that metallics are coming back!

    ReplyDelete